The Power of Your Employer Brand and its use for Attracting Talent
Travis Perkins is the UK’s largest builders’ merchant, with over 30,000 employees operating across 20 brands (most of which are trade). Despite being ranked one of the best places to work for the past 10 years, the organisation had struggled to bring its employer brand to life. Head of Resourcing, Rebecca Martin-Cortez, decided to partner with 4MAT to address challenges of attraction and retention:
- Rebecca decided to redirect advertising budget into building a new careers platform, as the current website had failed to showcase the multitude of opportunities available across the group.
- The new group careers platform, built by 4MAT, gave surface to all brands and displayed relevant content to drive applications for each one. They also introduced predictive keyword search to suggest vacancies and display latest jobs by location.
- But employer branding also played a key role here. The new platform had to give insight into what it’s like working for the business, while also offering career development content by job role. This content was then shared on social media to grow the brand’s reach.
- In addition to saving costs, the platform also had to become a destination site, showcasing what it’s like working at Travis Perkins. Employees from across the group were filmed talking about their personal journeys within the organisation, shining a light on the group culture and core values.
- One such initiative was run during Armed Forces Week, where Travis Perkins together with the Poppy Factory produced a video highlighting how their Ex Forces employees benefitted from the group’s diversity agenda. The video gained 3,000 views in just 24h since its publication on social media.
- By building a platform that would not just advertise roles but also promote what Travis Perkins did and stood for as a business, gave substantial rise to the number of visits, applications and hires made.
Tell your employer brand story in an authentic way and use real employee testimonials to bring it to life. Take a critical look at your candidate journey, understand your key metrics of success and start collating intel to build your business case for improvement. The ROI will justify the cost!
View Rebecca Martin-Cortez & David Johnston's presentation
Rebecca Martin-Cortez, Head of Resourcing, Travis Perkins & David Johnston, Account Director, 4MAT
"The Power of Your Employer Brand and its use for Attracting Talent"